I may be wrong, but since there have been message format changes between
0.8.2 and 0.10.1, there will be a performance penalty if the clients are
not also upgraded. This is because you lose the zero-copy semantics on the
server side as the messages have to be converted to the old format before
being sent out on the wire to the old clients.