Thanks for the report, Karolis.

I have a potential theory for how this happened and I'm wondering if it's
possibly valid:

I have 9 partitions on a machine with 3 disks and they get assigned exactly
as you'd expect:

d1: t{1,2,3}
d2: t{4,5,6}
d3: t{7,8,9}

Then, a disk fails or something somewhere else and kafka decides to assign
t10 to d1 on this machine.

d1: t{1,2,3,10}
d2: t{4,5,6}
d3: t{7,8,9}

Then something happens where kafka wants to move a partition off of d2:

d1: t{1,2,3,10}
d2: t{4,5}
d3: t{7,8,9}

Is this scenario something that can happen?

In our actual deployment we have 5 servers with 3 disks each, 1 topic, 15
partitions, and a replication factor of 3.