Thanks Asaf, Aseem.

Assigning topics to only a specific set of brokers will probably cause
uneven traffic and it won't prevent topics to be re-assigned to other
brokers when brokers fail.

Like I said, the original cluster is close to out of resources. I remember
there's some limit on # of partitions that each Kafka cluster can have.
Netflix recommends to keep it below 10k to improve availability and reduce
latency,
http://techblog.netflix.com/2016/04/kafka-inside-keystone-pipeline.html.
Jun Rao also wrote a blog(
https://www.confluent.io/blog/how-to-choose-the-number-of-topicspartitions-in-a-kafka-cluster/)
about how too many partitions could hurt availability and latency. That's
why we want to create another cluster instead of expanding the current one.
I know a lot of companies are maintaining multiple clusters, and I'm
curious how people are doing topic discovery.

--
Yifan