In the scenario you mention above about max.poll.interval.ms, yes if the
timeout was reached then there would be a rebalance and one of the standby
tasks would take over. However the original task may still be processing
the data when the rebalance occurs and would throw an exception when it
tries to commit the offsets (as it would no longer be the owner of the
partitions). In this case the StreamThread would terminate, so you would
want to have set up an UncaughtExceptionHandler such that you can be
alerted and take any necessary actions, i.e., shutdown the app so it can be
auto-restarted.