Hi all,

I’m running Kafka 0.10.0.1 on Java 8 on Linux — same for brokers and streams
nodes.

I’m attempting to scale up a Streams app that does a lot of I/O — in
particular, I’m hoping to isolate each partition into its own thread — and I’m
confused:

* I recently created 11 new topics and partitions and modified this app to
consume from the 11 new topics

* The app is now consuming from 130 partitions across those 11 topics

* I’ve set the config value num.stream.threads to 130

* In the logs from the startup routine, I can see that Streams is creating 130
threads

* When I use kafka-consumer-groups to see the status of the app, in particular
lag, I can see that it’s only using 20 of those threads to consume from its
topics

* This means, of course, that when processing for one partition blocks, it
blocks processing for any other partition assigned to the same thread.

So:

* Why is this happening?

* How can I achieve my goal?

Thank you,