If a Streams application is shutdown via KafkaStream#close() it should
be able to reuse local store on restart.

As you mention that you application fails, I assume that some exception
happens within Streams and you catch this exception with an uncaught
exception handler to trigger some shutdown for the overall application.

For this scenario, a local store is most likely not reusable, because
the exception prevent a clean flush to disk and Streams does not know
what data did get flushed to disk and what not -- thus, the local store
is in an "dirty" state and needs to get rebuild from scratch by reading
the backing changelog topic.

If you want to speed up this process, you might want to compact the
changelog topic before your restart -- this limits the recovery time to
be linear in the number of unique keys in you store (compared to the
number of update over all keys). How often log compaction is triggered
is a broker configuration that you can also set for individual topics.

-Matthias