On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 7:19 PM, Stephane Maarek <
steph...@simplemachines.com.au> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the guidance, I think we’ll go ahead with one cluster. I
> just need to figure out how our CD pipeline can talk to our connect cluster
> securely (because it’ll need direct access to perform API calls).

The documentation isn't great here, but you can apply all the normal
security configs to Connect (in distributed mode, it's basically equivalent
to a consumer, so everything you can do with a consumer you can do with
Connect).

> Lastly, a question or maybe a piece of feedback… is it not possible to
> specify the key serializer and deserializer as part of the rest api job
> config?
> The issue is that sometimes our data is avro, sometimes it’s json. And it
> seems I’d need two separate clusters for that?

This is new! As of 0.10.1.0, we have
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-75+-+Add+per-connector+Converters
which allows you to include it in the connector config. It's called
"Converter" in Connect because it does a bit more than ser/des if you've
written them for Kafka, but they are basically just pluggable ser/des. We
knew folks would want this, it just took us awhile to find the bandwidth to
implement it. Now, you shouldn't need to do anything special or deploy
multiple clusters -- it's baked in and supported as long as you are willing
to override it on a per-connector basis (and this seems reasonable for most
folks since *ideally* you are *somewhat* standardized on a common
serialization format).

-Ewen