Hi all,

I have posted a KIP for dropping support for Java 7 in Kafka 0.11:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-118%3A+Drop+Support+for+Java+7+in+Kafka+0.11

Most people were supportive when we last discussed the topic[1], but there
were a few concerns. I believe the following should mitigate the concerns:

1. The new proposal suggests dropping support in the next major version
instead of the next minor version.
2. KIP-97 which is part of 0.10.2 means that 0.11 clients will support 0.10
brokers (0.11 brokers will also support 0.10 clients as usual), so there is
even more flexibility on incremental upgrades.
3. Java 9 will be released shortly after the next Kafka release, so we'll
be supporting the 2 most recent Java releases, which is a reasonable policy.
4. 8 months have passed since the last proposal and the release after
0.10.2 won't be out for another 4 months, which should hopefully be enough
time for Java 8 to be even more established. We haven't decided when the
next major release will happen, but we know that it won't happen before
June 2017.

Please take a look at the proposal and share your feedback.

Thanks,
Ismael

[1] http://search-hadoop.com/m/Kafka/uyzND1oIhV61GS5Sf2