Hi,

I’m wondering if the official Kafka documentation is misleading. Here (
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#security_sasl_brokernotes) you can
read:

   1. Client section is used to authenticate a SASL connection with
   zookeeper. It also allows the brokers to set SASL ACL on zookeeper nodes
   which locks these nodes down so that only the brokers can modify it.* It
   is necessary to have the same principal name across all brokers.* If you
   want to use a section name other than Client, set the system property
   zookeeper.sasl.client to the appropriate name (*e.g.*,
   -Dzookeeper.sasl.client=ZkClient).

And then right here
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#security_sasl_kerberos_brokerconfig the
suggested JAAS file is:

// Zookeeper client authentication
        Client {
        com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule required
        useKeyTab=true
        storeKey=true
        keyTab="/etc/security/keytabs/kafka_server.keytab"*
principal="kafka/kafka1.hostname....@example.com
<kafka1.hostname....@example.com>";

Which in my opinion shows that every broker should have a different
principal name to connect to Zookeeper. Is that misleading, or am I missing
something?

Thanks,
Stephane