Well, my IOwait sits around 0. Much less than 1% all the time. Any IOwait
at all indicates that the application is waiting on the disk, so that’s
where your bottleneck will be.

As far as open files, it depends on how many log segments and network
connections are open. Because I have large clusters with thousands of
partitions per broker, and tons of network connections from clients, I have
the FD limit set to 400k. Basically, you don’t want to run out, so you want
enough buffer to catch a problem (like a bug with socket file descriptors
not getting released properly).

-Todd