Hello Tianji,

As Kohki mentioned, in Streams joins and aggregations are always done
pre-partitioned, and hence locally. So there won't be any inter-node
communications needed to execute the join / aggregations. Also they can be
hosted as persistent local state stores so you don't need to keep them in
memory. So for example if you partition your data with K1 / K2, then data
with the same values in combo (K1, K2) will always goes to the same
partition, and hence good for aggregations / joins on either K1, K2, or
combo(K1, K2), but not sufficient for combo(K1, K2, K3, K4), as data with
the same values of K3 / K4 might still goes to different partitions
processed by different Streams instances.

So what you want is really to partition based on the "maximum superset" of
all the involved keys. Note that with the superset of all the keys one
thing to watch out is the even distribution of the partitions. If it is not
evenly distributed, then some instance might become hot points. This can be
tackled by customizing the "PartitionGrouper" interface in Streams, which
indicates which set of partitions will be assigned to each of the tasks (by
default each one partition from the source topics will form a task, and
task is the unit of parallelism in Streams).

Hope this helps.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang