Here is the recommended way to setup a 3-node Kafka cluster. Its always
recommended to keep zookeeper nodes on different set of nodes than the one you
are running Kafka. To go with your current 3-node installation.
1. Install 3-node zookeeper make sure they are forming the quorum
(https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.3.2/zookeeperAdmin.html)
2. Install apache kafka binaries on all 3 nodes.
3. Make sure you keep the same zookeeper.connect in server.properties on all 3
nodes for your kafka broker.
4. Start Kafka brokers
5. For sanity check, make sure you create a topic with 3-replication factor and
see if you can produce & consume messages

Before stepping into security make sure your non-secure Kafka cluster works ok.
Once you’ve a stable & working cluster
follow instructions in the doc to enable SSL.

-Harsha