There are indeed some known issues in the Controller that require care to
avoid. Onur has recently contributed a PR that simplifies the concurrency
model of the Controller:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/bb663d04febcadd4f120e0ff5c5919ca8bf7e971

This is a good first step and will be part of 0.11.0.0. The next step will
be to fix the session expiration issues. It's a non-trivial amount of work
so the current target is the feature release after 0.11.0.0.

Ismael