We use Kafka Streams for quite a few aggregation tasks. For instance,
counting the number of messages with a particular status in a 1-minute time
window.

We have noticed that whenever we restart a stream, we see a sudden spike in
the aggregated numbers. After a few minutes, things are back to normal.
Could the above discussion be the reason for this?

Please note that we use custom timestamp extractor.