First a meta comment. KIP discussion should take place on the dev list
-- if user list is cc'ed please make sure to reply to both lists. Thanks.

Thanks for making the scope of the KIP clear. Makes a lot of sense to
focus on deserialization exceptions for now.

With regard to corrupted state stores, would it make sense to fail a
task and wipe out the store to repair it via recreation from the
changelog? That's of course a quite advance pattern, but I want to bring
it up to design the first step in a way such that we can get there (if
we think it's a reasonable idea).

I also want to comment about fail fast vs making progress. I think that
fail-fast must not always be the best option. The scenario I have in
mind is like this: you got a bunch of producers that feed the Streams
input topic. Most producers work find, but maybe one producer miss
behaves and the data it writes is corrupted. You might not even be able
to recover this lost data at any point -- thus, there is no reason to
stop processing but you just skip over those records. Of course, you
need to fix the root cause, and thus you need to alert (either via logs
of the exception handler directly) and you need to start to investigate
to find the bad producer, shut it down and fix it.

Here the dead letter queue comes into place. From my understanding, the
purpose of this feature is solely enable post debugging. I don't think
those record would be fed back at any point in time (so I don't see any
ordering issue -- a skipped record, with this regard, is just "fully
processed"). Thus, the dead letter queue should actually encode the
original records metadata (topic, partition offset etc) to enable such
debugging. I guess, this might also be possible if you just log the bad
records, but it would be harder to access (you first must find the
Streams instance that did write the log and extract the information from
there). Reading it from topic is much simpler.

I also want to mention the following. Assume you have such a topic with
some bad records and some good records. If we always fail-fast, it's
going to be super hard to process the good data. You would need to write
an extra app that copied the data into a new topic filtering out the bad
records (or apply the map() workaround withing stream). So I don't think
that failing fast is most likely the best option in production is
necessarily, true.

Or do you think there are scenarios, for which you can recover the
corrupted records successfully? And even if this is possible, it might
be a case for reprocessing instead of failing the whole application?
Also, if you think you can "repair" a corrupted record, should the
handler allow to return a "fixed" record? This would solve the ordering
problem.

-Matthias