You can look at enabling JMX on kafka (
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36708384/enable-jmx-on-kafka-brokers) using
JMXTrans (https://github.com/jmxtrans/jmxtrans) and a config (
https://github.com/wikimedia/puppet-kafka/blob/master/kafka-jmxtrans.json.md)
to gather stats, and insert them into influxdb (
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-monitor-system-metrics-with-the-tick-stack-on-centos-7)
then graph the resulsts with grafana (
https://softwaremill.com/monitoring-apache-kafka-with-influxdb-grafana/,
https://grafana.com/dashboards/721)

This is likely a solid day of work to get working nicely, but it also
enables you to do a lot of extra cool stuff for monitoring, more than just
Kafka.  JMXTrans can be a bit of a pain, because Kafkas JMX metrics are ..
plentiful ... but the example configuration above should get you started.
Using Telegraf to collect system stats and graph them with Grafana is
really simple and powerful, as the Grafana community has a lot of pre-built
content you can steal and make quick wins with.

Monitoring Kafka can be a beast, but there is a lot of useful data there
for if(when?) there is a problem.  The more time you spend with the
metrics, the more you start to get a feel for the internals.