I think if we had the opportunity to start from scratch, --describe would
have been the following:
--describe --offsets: shows all offsets committed for the group as well as
lag
--describe --state (or maybe --members): shows the full
DescribeGroupResponse output (including things like generation id, state,
protocol type, etc)
--describe: shows the merged version of the above two.