This is similar to a problem I am also grappling with. We store the
processed offset for each partition in state store. And after restarts we
see that sometimes the start offset that Kafka Streams uses is a few
thousands to a couple million behind per partition. To compound it, this is
not repeatable.

Regards
Sab