Not too familiar with that error, but I do have Kafka working on
Kubernetes. I'll share my files here in case that helps:

Zookeeper:
https://gist.github.com/aliakhtar/812974c35cf2658022fca55cc83f4b1d

Kafka: https://gist.github.com/aliakhtar/724fbee6910dec7263ab70332386af33

Essentially I have 3 kafka nodes and 3 zookeeper nodes, and my hacky way of
getting this to work was to have 3 kafka deployments + services, and vice
versa for zookeeper.

Ideally you would use a StatefulSet for this, but zookeeper and kafka
require a unique id for each node to be provided in the config, and there's
no way currently to do that in Kubernetes (or wasn't, last I checked). If
there was, e.g using the pod IP, then you'd use a StatefulSet with a
valueFrom of the pod's ip, and pass that on as the unique ID to each node.