Those prerequisites are just for the Confluent CLI used in the quickstart. The
Apache Kafka and Zookeeper versions included in the Confluent distribution are
the latest and the same as the Apache Kafka download so it will work. You will
just need to start Zookeeper and Kafka with the shell scripts in the ./bin
directory rather than just typing “confluent start” as it says in the
quickstart documentation.

-hans