The 0.8.1 protocol does not support target timestamps so it makes sense
that you would get an invalid request error if the client is sending a
Version 1 or Version 2 Offsets Request. The only Offset Request that a
0.8.1 broker knows how to handle is a Version 0 Offsets Request.

>From https://kafka.apache.org/protocol
INVALID_REQUEST 42 False This most likely occurs because of a request being
malformed by the client library or the message was sent to an incompatible
broker. See the broker logs for more details.

For more info on the 0.11 Kafka protocol and ListOffset Requests see

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/A+Guide+To+The+Kafka+Protocol#AGuideToTheKafkaProtocol-OffsetAPI(AKAListOffset)

-hans

/**
 * Hans Jespersen, Principal Systems Engineer, Confluent Inc.
 * h...@confluent.io (650)924-2670
 */