This is related to another config "listener.security.protocol.map" (since
version 0.10.2.0). The CLIENT, PLAINTEXT, etc are defined as a
name-protocol mapping. So what you have in the listeners property (e.g.
CLIENT) must have an entry in the protocol map which determines which
protocol to use (e.g. CLIENT:SASL_PLAINTEXT).

The idea is that the same protocol can be used in multiple listeners. For
example you might have SASL/SSL in two listeners (different network
interface or port).

This is part of KIP-103, you can see more details there:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-103%3A+Separation+of+Internal+and+External+traffic

--
Kaufman Ng
+1 646 961 8063