Hi,

1. inter.broker.protocol.version should be higher than or equal to
log.message.format.version.
So with 0.10 inter.broker.protocol.version, we can not use latest message
format and broker wont start.

2. Since other brokers in the cluster don't understand latest protocol, we
can not directly
set inter.broker.protocol.version = 1.0 and restart the broker. In first
restart, we will update the binaries
and in second restart we will change the protocol.

we should follow the steps given in the docs.