> Kafka Streams only work with a single cluster.

Ok, that’s what I was thinking after I looked at it more.

> Thus, you would need to either transform the data first and replicate
> the output topic to the target cluster, or replicate first and transform
> within the target cluster.

I don’t control the source cluster, so the second is the only possibility.

> Note, for the "intermediate" topic you need, you can set a low retention
> time to reduce storage footprint, as it only acts as a temporal topic
> and the actual data is safely stored in the original source and final
> target topic.

Makes sense.

> As an alternative, you might want to check out
> "single-message-transforms" (SMT) using Kafka Connect. Those allow you
> to do simple transformation on the fly while copying data around. If you
> don't need advanced transformations like aggregations or joins, SMT
> might be sufficient and you don't need to use Kafka Streams.

I started to look into that. The transformation I need to do is really
light-weight. What I don’t quite understand is, do have to make source and sink
connectors to get records from the one Kafka topic and write the transformed
records to the destination Kafka topic? Or can I write a consumer and a
producer and incorporate SMTs that way?