I have a topic otp-sms. I want that retention of this topic should be 5
minutes as OTPs are invalid post that amount of time. So I set
retention.ms=300000.
However, this was not working. So reading more in depth in Kafka
configuration document I found another topic level setting that can be
tuned for topic retention to work properly. So I set segment.ms=300000 as
well.

After these changes I saw that old logs go deleted. Still in the topic I
could see one record which is more than 15 minutes old and not getting
deleted. What does one have to do to actually delete messages generated n
minutes ago?