This can happen for two reasons:

1) Your offsets are expired and removed. So your consumers don't know where
to start from - earliest means "Start from the beginning"
2) You are actually starting as part of a totally new consumer group - in
which case it's as designed too - start from the beginning.

I would check your offset retention policy by size/time - and tune that if
necessary.