Hi Sam,

This sounds like a condition I fixed in
https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/ed51b2cdf5bdac210a6904bead1a2ca6e8411406#diff-8b364ed2d0abd8e8ae21f5d322db6564R221
. I realized that the prior code creates a new Meter, which uses a Total
metric instead of a Count. But that would total all the values of the
metric, when instead what we want is to "total" the number of measurements
(aka count them).

I just peeked at the 1.1 branch, and it seems this change made it in after
the 1.1 branch cut, so it would only be fixed in 2.0.

Thanks,
-John