I have a situation where I have to upgrade a distributed system in a
piecemeal from plaintext to ssl between kafka clients and broker.

Is there a simple way to detect from the client if it should be trying to
use plaintext or ssl - from a kafka API perspective? I can do a low-level
trick like open a socket and send an ssl client-hello message, but I was
hoping I could read some zookeeper data to determine if the broker is using
ssl or plaintext. Also, (for internal political reasons) I can't open both
ssl and plaintext channels - once the broker changes over, it has to be all
or nothing.

Thanks in advance,
John