Hey Bill,

Thanks for reading the KIP, much appreciated.

The reason we want it to be a separate Partitioner is because:

a) We don’t want to specify partition anywhere.

b) we want to be able to reuse what’s been done for NULL key in
DefaultPartitioner.

Using the constructor means we need to assign partition manually in the
code. I’m not sure if it I managed to clarify our need.

Also, this means no change in any existing code. It’s a new class in Kafka
trunk which doesn’t disrupt any exising operation.

Thanks,