Hi
Is there a way to have a Kafka Connect connector begin in state 'PAUSED'?
I.e I would like to have the connector set to paused before it can process
any data from Kafka.

Some background:

I have a use case where we will push data from Kafka into S3 using Kafka
Connect. It also involves a one-time backfill of data from Hadoop to get
all the historic data into S3 as well, into the same dataset.

To avoid too many duplicates we want the Kafka Connect pipeline and the
HDFS-to-S3 pipeline to overlap just a few hours, i.e:

1. start kafka-connect kafka-to-s3 pipeline
2. wait a few hours
3. start pushing data from Hadoop to S3

However, I have one process that deploys Kafka Connect connectors and
another one that will handle this backfilling process, so one way of
solving this would be if a connector could start in paused state and be
resumed by the backfilling process.

One less pretty solution to make the connector be paused before it can
consume any data is by deploying it with faulty Kafka settings, set it to
paused and then correct the settings, but I hope there are better solutions
than that

regards
Rickard

--