It all depends on which type of consumer you are using. If you use an old
(original) consumer, you must specify one or more zookeepers since group
management info is stored in zookeeper. If you use a new consumer, group
management is handled by the kafka cluster itself so you must specify one or
more brokers in the bootstrap-server list. Kafka has supported both original
and new  consumer styles since 0.9.

In summary, kafka stores consumer group info in zookeeper only if you are using
the old consumer style. It is a consumer-specific setting entirely independent
of topic configuration.

-- Peter