From: Eric Azama <eazama...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 4:31 PM
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: Programmatic method of setting consumer groups offsets

Adding on to Ryanne's point, if subscribe() isn't giving your consumer all
of the partitions for a topic, that implies there are still active
consumers running for that group. The consumer groups CLI command does not
allow you to modify offsets for consumer groups that have active consumers.
I believe this is because running consumers will not reset to the offsets
that the command commits until they are restarted for some reason.
Committing is presumably part of the consumer's processing loop, so they'll
just overwrite whatever you committed with their current position.