Are you using kafka-node or node-rdkafka? In either case you should call
Consumer.commit(cb) or something similar to manually commit offsets (aka
acknowledge messages).

Alternatively so can set a config parameter on the consumer to autoCommit.

https://github.com/SOHU-Co/kafka-node/blob/master/README.md#consumer

https://github.com/Blizzard/node-rdkafka/blob/master/README.md

-hans