Hi,

I have a 2-node Kafka cluster. When I create a new topic it preallocates
about 21MB for each partition:
10M /data/1-0/00000000000000000000.index
0 /data/1-0/00000000000000000000.log
10M /data/1-0/00000000000000000000.timeindex
4.0K /data/1-0/leader-epoch-checkpoint

And because I have many topics with 24 partitions each, about 7GB will be
preallocated.

That behavior is because of property *segment.index.bytes, *but in the
document, it is written that We preallocate this index file and shrink it
only after log rolls.

But my question is when exactly Kafka will shrink the preallocated space?

As I have another standalone Kafka it also preallocates 21MB for each
partition but after a few days the indices preallocated space was freed and
now only 4KB space is allocated, but in 2-nodes Kafka cluster after about 2
weeks it's preallocated 7GB for each empty topic. Why?