In Kafka 2.1, the `Serializer` and `Deserializer` interface were
changed:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=87298242

It seems, that updating to 2.2.0 for the test driver does not update
your dependency to `kafka-client` package. Try to add this dependency
explicitly to make sure its using `2.2.0` clients jar.

-Matthias