@Jonathan Actually after double checking the code I realized
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-7190 would not completely
resolve this issue, as explained in my previous email to Pieter.

@Pieter Your concerns about this issue makes sense to me. Are you willing
to compile from source code than from a downloaded artifact? I can try to
provide you a quick workaround hotfix if you're willing to do the former.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang