retention policy applied only for closed segments. Please check when current
segment of topic getting closed.segment gets rotated when either the
log.segment.bytes or the log.segment.ms limit is reached.

________________________________
From: Tom Vernon <t...@machineadvertising.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:06 PM
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: retention.ms not working for a single topic

Hi, I have several 2.2.0 Kafka clusters, each with several topics. One of
the topics has retention.ms=604800000 (7days) set at the topic level and
also log.retention.ms=604800000 (7 days) set at the cluster level. There
are no other hour/day retention settings in place. The log files for this
topic are now up to 14 days old and they don't seem to be getting deleted
by the standard cleanup policy. Any ideas why this would be? Cleanup looks
to be working as expected everywhere else. The only thing different about
this particular topic is that we have been experimenting with different
compression codecs over the last few weeks, therefore it contains a mixture
of lz4, snappy etc. I cant see why this would make a difference.

Thanks