Ok, good, that's what I was hoping. I think that's a good strategy, at
the end of the "real" data, just write a dummy record with the same
keys with a high timestamp to flush everything else through.

For the most part, I'd expect a production program to get a steady
stream of traffic with increasing timestamps, so windows would be
constantly be getting flushed out as stream time moves forward.

Some folks have reported that they don't get enough traffic through
their program to flush out the suppressed results on a regular basis,
though. Right now, the best solution is to have the same Producer that
writes data to the input topics also write "heartbeat/dummy" records
periodically when there is no data to send, just to keep stream time
moving forward. But this isn't a perfect solution, as you have pointed
out in this thread; you really want the heartbeat records to go to all
partitions, and also go to all re-partitions if there are repartition
topics in the topology.

I agree that there seems to be a need for some first-class support for
keeping stream time moving reliably. I think that the ideal would be
to allow Producers to automatically send the heartbeats and to
implement a variant of the Chandy-Lamport distributed snapshot
algorithm to push them though the whole topology while skipping any
actual computations (so your business logic wouldn't have to see
them). I'd really love to see this feature in Streams; I just haven't
written it up yet because I haven't had time.

During the design for Suppress, we did consider having some kind of
timer, but the problem is that it's not possible for this to be
deterministic. If you want the "until window closes" version, you're
supposed to get a guarantee that you'll really only see one, final,
result for each window/key. If we were to use the system clock on the
Streams machine to decide it's probably been long enough and emit the
"final" result, but it turns out that we actually had just stalled
(maybe waiting for quorum during a broker upgrade or something, or
just a run-of-the-mill networking problem) and the next record we poll
was supposed to be in the window, what can we do? We already emitted
the "final" result, so we can say "oops, that wasn't the final result,
_this_ one is the final result", but that seems to render the words
"final result" kind of meaningless. On the other hand, we can just
drop that record and ignore it, but that's a bummer because the only
reason we couldn't include it in the result was some ephemeral
environmental problem. If we run the same data through the same
program again, we'd get a different result.

So for "until window closes" mode, where we guarantee you _only_ see
the final results, we only offer stream time expiration. Anything else
would violate correctness one way or another. On the other hand, you
have "until time limit" mode. In that case, it's just "buffer for a
while, but multiple results are still ok" semantics. For that case, we
have
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-424%3A+Allow+suppression+of+intermediate+events+based+on+wall+clock+time
, to indeed use a timer to emit events if too much time passes on the
Streams side. It's just not implemented yet.

Does this all seem about right to you?
-john