In addition to the session timeout try increasing the request timeout as well.
We had similar issue and resolved it by increasing the timeouts. As per my
understanding, If you have complex topology then it will take some time for
kafka brokers to create the tasks and assign them to consumers. In the mean
time if any consumer try to join the group it will timeout due to lower timeout
values. Increasing the timeouts will give enough time for the brokers to assign
the tasks to consumers properly.

request.timeout.ms=60000

Thanks
Thameem