Hi All
Can someone please advise what is the recommended practice for replacing a lost
broker in a Kafka cluster. Lets consider this sequence of events

  1.  3 node cluster say with 1 topic of 3 partitions and RF of 2.
  2.  That gives 2 partitions on each Broker (B1,B2,B3)
  3.  Lets say we lost B3. We still have B1 and B2 and 4 partitions. Assuming
each broker had only 1 leader, by losing B3 we lost 1 leader and 1 replica. Out
of remaining replicas another leader will be selected for any lost leaders so
we carry on with no downtime.
  4.  I want to know what we should do to go back to 3 broker cluster. Are
there standard guidelines around any procedure to be done after restarting the
lost broker mainly when the lost broker has been replaced with another instance
which no longer has old log.dirs i.e. data existing on this lost broker is
gone. Is there a way to rebuild missing replica partitions now from existing
partitions or what is the recommended practice in that scenario? Will we need
some kind of partition re-assignment here and will it ensure that we now go
back from 4 partitions to 6 partitions?

Can someone please advise what happens automatically in this case and what (if
anything) should be done as a standard practice to get things back to normalcy.

Thanks
Alok Dwivedi
Data Architect
Maersk Always On Platform

Classification: Public

________________________________

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for
the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended
recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the
information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message
and attachments.

Maersk will as part of our communication and interaction with you collect and
process your personal data. You can read more about Maersk's collection and
processing of your personal data and your rights as a data subject in our
privacy policy <https://www.maersk.com/front-page-requirements/privacy-policy>