I had a similar question, and just watched the video on the confluent.io
site about this.
>From what I understand idempotence and transactions are there to solve the
duplicate writes and exactly once processing, respectively.

Is what you are stating below is that this only works if we produce into a
kafka topic and consume from it via a kafka stream, but a regular
kafka consumer won't get the guarantee of exactly once processing?

Thanks,
Chris