Hi,

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 11:55, Sachin Kale <sachinpk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are working on a prototype where we write to two Kafka cluster
> (primary-secondary) and read from one of them (based on which one is
> primary) to increase the availability. There is a flag which is used to
> determine which cluster is primary and other becomes secondary. On
> detecting primary cluster is down, secondary is promoted to primary.
>
> How do we detect cluster downtime failures in Kafka Consumer? I tried
> different things but poll() makes sure to mask all the exceptions and
> returns 0 records.
>

> -Sachin-

These couple of links suggest how to approach it..

https://www.slideshare.net/gwenshap/multicluster-and-failover-for-apache-kafka-kafka-summit-sf-17

https://www.confluent.io/blog/3-ways-prepare-disaster-recovery-multi-datacenter-apache-kafka-deployments

If you are in container world (e.g. K8s, YARN or Mesos) - using liveness
probe can help you determine if there's been a failover. But on traditional
cloud, it's simply a heartbeat mechanism that tells you whether the
services are usable or not.
An example would be to be setup monitor alerts using SolarWind (or similar
monitoring agents) and use Cruise control or Kafka-Monitor to setup alerts.

May be others can also suggest something which I cannot think of right now.