On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 4:25 PM Peter Bukowinski <pmb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How many partitions are on each of your brokers? That’s a key factor
> affecting shutdown and startup time.

The test hosts run about 384 partitions each (7 topics * 128 partitions
each * 3x replication / 7 brokers). The largest prod cluster has about 1344
partitions/broker; the smallest and slowest has 2560.

> I’m currently doing a rolling restart of a 150-broker cluster running
> kafka 2.3.1. The cluster is very busy (~500k msg/sec, ~1GB/sec). Each
> broker has about 65 partitions. Each broker restart cycle (stop/start,
> rejoin ISR) takes about 90 seconds.

In our largest prod cluster (16 d2.8xlarge broker cluster, 200k msg/s, 300
MB/s), our restart cycles take about 3 minutes on 1.1.0 (counting
ISR-rejoin time) and about 30 minutes on 2.3.1. The only other change we
made between versions was increasing heap size from 8G to 16G.

Thanks for the response!