Why do some people so strongly recommend cutting large messages into
many small messages, as opposed to changing max.message.bytes?

For example, Stéphane Maarek at
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-send-Large-messages-80-MB-in-Kafkam,
says "Kafka isn’t meant to handle large messages and that’s why the
message max size is 1MB (the setting in your brokers is called
message.max.bytes). See Apache Kafka. If you wanted to you could
increase   that as well as make sure to increase the network buffers
for your producers and consumers. Let me be clear, I DO NOT ENCOURAGE
THIS."

It seems to me that a 100 megabyte message should be fine on any large server.

Thanks in Advance,
Clark