Hey Nag Y,

I’m not exactly sure if reducing the replication factor while a broker is
down would release the messages to be consumed (or at least not on all
partitions) for the simple fact that it might just remove the last replica
in the list which might not mach your unreachable broker.
Personally i would go and do a manual reassignment of partitions (kafka
manager allows you to do that in an easy visual environment) and move the
replicas out of the broken broker to a working one and once that’s done and
the data copied to the new broker the high watermark should go up as all
the replicas will be in sync.

Cheers,

On Sunday, June 21, 2020, Nag Y <andriod.nag.u...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks D C. Thanks a lot . That is quite a detailed explanation.
> If I understand correctly, ( ignoring the case where producers
> create transactions) - since the replica is down and never comes , the high
> watermark CANNOT advance and the consumer CAN NOT read the messages which
> were sent after the replica is down as the message is NOT committed - Hope
> this is correct ?

Indeed, this is correct.