Answers inline.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 6:46 AM Marina Popova
<[email protected]> wrote:

> thank you, Ismael!
> a follow up question (or two :) ):
> -- our clients (consumers and producers) are all upgraded to Kafka 2.4.0 /
> ZK 3.5.6 version at this time, and since it is a very involved process to
> upgrade them, I'd want to leave them at that for now. Any issues you can
> think of running clients at these versions and brokers at version 2.5.1/ZK
> 3.5.8 ?
>

Kafka clients don't use ZK, so we don't have to worry about that aspect.
There are no issues running 2.4.0 clients with 2.5.1 brokers. However,
there have been some important client fixes since 2.4.0 was released so
it's a good idea to upgrade when you have a chance. It can be done
independently of the brokers upgrade,

-- the brokers upgrade from 0.11 directly to 2.5.1: any words of wisdom on
> what particular properties I should pay attention to, that might have
> changed default values or semantics in between? I have compared server,
> consumer, producer and zookeeper properties files between those
> distributions and did not se anything critical, but just wanted to make
> sure....
>

I highly recommend reviewing the "notable changes" section for each release
in the following doc:

https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#upgrade

A couple of things I would mention:

1. Run the cluster with the existing inter-broker protocol version for a
few days and make sure that all is good with the applications before
bumping it to the current version. You will not be able to downgrade the
inter-broker protocol version after you bump it (the details are mentioned
in the documentation above).
2. The request metrics include a version tag and you may have to adjust
your monitoring tools.

Hope it helps.

Ismael


>
> Thank you!
> Marina
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email.
>
> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 6:02 PM, Ismael Juma <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Note that 2.5.1 has now been released.
> >
> > Ismael
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 11:13 AM Ismael Juma <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Marina,
> >>
> >> If you upgrade to ZK 3.5.x, I highly recommend going with 3.5.8. It has
> a few critical fixes when compared to 3.5.6. Also, Kafka 2.5.1 should be
> out in a few days and I'd recommend that over 2.4.1.
> >>
> >> Ismael
> >>
> >> On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 10:04 AM Marina Popova 
> >> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Actually, I'm very interested in your experience as well.... I'm about
> to start the same (similar) upgrade - from Kafka 0.11/ZK3.4.13 to Kafka
> 2.4/ZK 3.5.6
> >>>
> >>> I have Kafka and ZK as separate clusters.
> >>>
> >>> My plan is :
> >>> 1. rolling upgrade the Kafka cluster to 2.4 - using the
> inter.broker.protocol.version set to 0.11 at first
> >>> 2. rolling upgrade ZK cluster to 3.5.6
> >>> 3. set inter.broker.protocol.version=2.4.0 and rolling restart the
> Kafka cluster again
> >>>
> >>> Anybody sees a problem with this approach?
> >>>
> >>> thanks,
> >>> Marina
> >>>
> >>> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
> >>>
> >>> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> >>> On Thursday, July 23, 2020 4:01 PM, Andrey Klochkov <
> [email protected]> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Hello,
> >>>> We're upgrading our Kafka from 1.1.0 to 2.4.1 and I'm wondering if ZK
> needs
> >>>> to be upgraded too (we're currently on 3.4.6). The upgrade guide says
> that
> >>>> "kafka has switched to the XXX version of ZK" but never says if
> switching
> >>>> to a newer ZK is mandatory or not. What are the guidelines on keeping
> Kafka
> >>>> and ZK compatible?
> >>>>
> >>>>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>>>
> >>>> Andrey Klochkov

Reply via email to