Hello,

I have some questions about implementing GDPR compliance in Kafka.

In our situation we have the requirement of removing personal data from in
coordination with multiple systems. The idea is having a central "coordinator
system" which triggers the deletion process for the individual systems in a
specific, controlled sequence which takes into account the various system
inter-dependencies and data flows. This means e.g. system nr. 2 will receive
the delete order only after system nr. 1 has reported that it's done with the
deletion on its side (and so forth).

One of the systems in question publishes data in Kafka topics for consumption
in other systems and part of the deletion process is to remove the relevant
personal data from these Kafka topics too. This has to happen in a relatively
short time after the deletion order is received, to prevent a long delay before
the systems further down the chain can start their own deletion. Furthermore,
we need to know when the operation is completed: only at that point we can give
the "go" to the other systems.

We are unsure how to satisfy those requirements in Kafka. If anyone has ideas
or suggestions we would be very interested in your opinion. We are also
interested in general about experiences in implementing GDPR compliance in
Kafka, especially when dealing with multiple, interconnected systems.

Kind regards,

--
Christian Apolloni

Disclaimer: The contents of this email and any attachment thereto are intended
exclusively for the attention of the addressee(s). The email and any such
attachment(s) may contain information that is confidential and protected on the
strength of professional, official or business secrecy laws and regulations or
contractual obligations. Should you have received this email by mistake, you
may neither make use of nor divulge the contents of the email or of any
attachment thereto. In such a case, please inform the email's sender and delete
the message and all attachments without delay from your systems.
You can find our e-mail disclaimer statement in other languages under
http://www.baloise.ch/email_disclaimer