Have you tried running mm2 in a distributed mode instead of
standalone/dedicated?  Try using this file below that I have working on a
AWS EC2 instance:

name=mm2
clusters = source, target
source.bootstrap.servers = source:9092
target.bootstrap.servers = target:9092
group.id = mm2

## all replication factor has to be greater than the min.insync.replicas =
2, which is the default msk configuration.
source.config.storage.replication.factor = 4
target.config.storage.replication.factor = 4
source.offset.storage.replication.factor = 4
target.offset.storage.replication.factor = 4

source.status.storage.replication.factor = 4
target.status.storage.replication.factor = 4

source->target.enabled = true
target->source.enabled = false

offset-syncs.topic.replication.factor = 4
heartbeats.topic.replication.factor = 4
checkpoints.topic.replication.factor = 4

topics = .*

tasks.max = 2
replication.factor = 4
refresh.topics.enabled = true
sync.topic.configs.enabled = true
refresh.topics.interval.seconds = 30

topics.blacklist = .*[\-\.]internal, .*\.replica, __consumer_offsets
groups.blacklist = console-consumer-.*, connect-.*, __.*

source->target.emit.heartbeats.enabled=true
source->target.emit.checkpoints.enabled=true