Hi Jacob,

Answering your question below:

> For example from the doc this should work
> bin/kafka-configs.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --entity-type
brokers --entity-name 0 --describe
> But it doesn

This is working as designed. It's because you didn't alter any dynamic
configuration for this broker 0.
If you follow the documentation as you pointed out, it should work.
Ex:
# expected to have nothing output
$ bin/kafka-configs.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --entity-type
brokers --entity-name 1 --describe
Dynamic configs for broker 1 are:

$ bin/kafka-configs.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --entity-type
brokers --entity-name 1 --alter --add-config log.cleaner.threads=2
Completed updating config for broker 1.

# now there should be 1 dynamic config output
Lukede-MacBook-Pro:kafka_2.13-3.0.0 lukechen$ bin/kafka-configs.sh
--bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --entity-type brokers --entity-name 1
--describe
Dynamic configs for broker 1 are:
  log.cleaner.threads=2 sensitive=false
synonyms={DYNAMIC_BROKER_CONFIG:log.cleaner.threads=2,
DYNAMIC_DEFAULT_BROKER_CONFIG:log.cleaner.threads=2,
DEFAULT_CONFIG:log.cleaner.threads=1}

> from KRAFT (what I have been working with) you need  to add  *--all *at
the end.

Yes, that's expected. Appending --all will list all the configs for this
broker.

> I am trying to get system wide cluster stats, (command below from the doc)
> but it just stops silently with exitcode 0 and no output
> bin/kafka-configs.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --entity-type
brokers --entity-default --describe

Again, that's working as designed. It'll show the configured dynamic config
if you alter some configs. You can read the documentation again.

Hope that's clear

Thank you.
Luke