Hi Chris,
I was getting an unauthorized/authentication error message when I was
trying it out last Friday.  I tried looking for the exact message in the
connect.log.* files but was not very successful.  In my connector file, I
have

{
 "name":"blah",
 "config": {
     "database.history.producer.sasl.jaas.config":
"org.apache.kafka.common.security.scram.ScramLoginModule required
username=\"000\" password=\"000000\";",
  }
}

I changed the database.history.producer.sasl.jaas.config to:

"database.history.producer.sasl.jaas.config":
"org.apache.kafka.common.security.scram.ScramLoginModule required
username="${file:/path/file.pro:user"} password="${file:/path/file.pro:
password}";",